Another Rookie Wins At Cocopah Speedway


(WOMR file photo)

Round two of the second half of the 2010 Cocopah Speedway Weekly Racing Series was held Saturday evening.  The track prep crew was dealt a couple of events that challenged their abilities.

The first obstacle that had to be overcome happened during the pre-race hot lapping.  In the stock car division one of the race cars drove deep into turn one, over corrected his big four-wheel slide, and the car whipped around to the right, headed towards the retaining wall with vengeance.  The race car actually hit so hard that it “knocked down” a portion of the fence!  The picking up, propping up, repairing, and fortifying the crash wall caused about a 45 minute delay to the start of the racing program.

The other surprise the track prep people dealt with was the track condition drying out and turning into a dust storm in turns 3 and 4.  That required the water truck and the road grader to go into “track repair mode”, requiring another 40 minute delay in the race program.

Now on to the racing.

Ryan Hancock, the owner of Alexander Ford in Yuma, won his first main event in just his second race attempt!  After one race, the training wheels were removed and he showed the fans that he can wheel his super stock race car as good as the crusty track veterans.  Hancock, in only his second race, asked his crew to remove the rev limiter and give him access to all the “gitty-up” that the motor  has to offer.  Hancock put all that new-found horse power to good use, he showed his crew, and the fans, that he can wheel his race car to his first victory.

As a side note, Kent Rosevear, the track modified division champion last season, put together Hancock’s race.  As part of the training for Hancock, Rosevear installed a rev limiter chip that limited Hancock’s engine to 6,ooo RPM’s for the first race.  The rev limiter was to help keep Hancock from getting out of control for his first race.  In his second race, they turned him loose!

That extra 2,ooo RPM’s allowed Hancock to win his heat, leading flag-to-flag.  However, that was just a preview to what was to come!

In the main event, Hancock put on a very exciting race exchanging the lead a couple of times with Brawley’s Brent Ashurst.  However, on the last restart, Hancock jumped Ashurst and was able to hold him off to win the main event.

In the modified main event, Imperial’s Steven McCollough drove a borrowed race car to victory in the IMCA Modified race.

Joey Teague picked up his first career victory in the Street Stock race.  It was a very exciting battle with defending Street Stock champion, Adolfo Noriega.  They exchanged leads a couple of times on late race restarts, with Teague prevailing on the last restart.

To finish the story that I wrote regarding the 76 year old veteran race car driver returning to the cockpit of a race car, Bob Bennet did not fare so well Saturday night.  In his heat race, Bennett, got into the wall on the front stretch and wound up last.  In the main event his lot was equally disappointing.

All things considered, it was another good night of local short track racing at Cocopah Speedway.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.