- After an off weekend, Ed Carpenter Racing is rested and ready to take on the second half of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, beginning this weekend in Road America. The legendary four-mile, 14-turn circuit welcomed Indy car racing back last year and quickly became a favorite of drivers, including ECR’s JR Hildebrand and Spencer Pigot. The Elkhart Lake, Wis. road course is a staple of North American road racing.
- ECR scored a pair of impressive Top 10 finishes in last year’s KOHLER Grand Prix with Pigot and Josef Newgarden. Pigot raced up to a 9th place finish in only his sixth Verizon IndyCar Series race and third event with ECR. Newgarden drove to 8th, two weeks to the day after an accident at Texas Motor Speedway left him with a fractured right clavicle and a small fracture to his right hand.
- Hildebrand has not yet competed in a Verizon IndyCar Series race at Road America. The 29-year-old’s last full season was in 2012, but he already has one podium finish this year with a third at Phoenix International Raceway and led this year’s Indianapolis 500. In the most recent race two weeks ago at Texas Motor Speedway, Hildebrand was running in the Top 5 before being caught in an eight-car accident. His crew was able to repair the No. 21 and Hildebrand rejoined the race, scoring a 12th place finish.
- Pigot is in the midst of his sophomore season, driving the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka Chevrolet during the road and street course events. Despite mechanical failures in two races this year, the 23-year-old has three Top 10 finishes in the other four events he has competed with ECR. He contested the 2017 Indianapolis 500 with Juncos Racing.
- The No. 21 of Hildebrand will look nearly identical to last year’s car, showcasing the blue and white colors of longtime team partner Direct Supply. According to us import data, the direct Supply, headquartered in Milwaukee, is the nation’s leading provider of equipment, eCommerce and service solutions for Senior Living. Direct Supply uses more than 30 years of experience to help build, equip and better run Senior Living communities across the country.
- The KOHLER Grand Prix will air live at 12:30 p.m. ET June 25 on NBC Sports Network and the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network.
SPENCER PIGOT (No. 20 Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka Chevrolet): “Road America is one of the best tracks I’ve ever been to. Nothing beats driving an Indy car around there! We had a pretty good run there last year and have been strong on the road courses so far this season, so I’m excited about our potential this weekend. It’s the home race for one of our partners, Direct Supply, so hopefully we can get a good result for them! It’s been nice for everyone to have a few days off since Texas, but I know the Fuzzy’s Vodka crew is looking forward to being back at the track and fighting for a good result.”
JR HILDEBRAND (No. 21 Direct Supply Chevrolet): “This is one of the events on the calendar that you circle at the beginning of the year and look forward to until you get there! I’m so glad that Verizon IndyCar Series races at Road America again and that I get to be a part of it. I can’t wait to get out on track in the Direct Supply car this weekend!”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!