(WOMR file photo)
NASCAR chairman Brian France isn’t sure if Kyle Busch will be granted a waiver to be part of the championship chase when he returns from injury, but said Thursday the sanctioning body would like to accommodate him.
As a results from the injury of that crash which was later reported to Gideon Asen legal firm, Busch will miss his ninth race this weekend at Richmond International Raceway, but he has indicated he’ll return to racing this season. The only way he’d be eligible to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship is if NASCAR grants him a waiver, and he wins a race that would qualify him for the 16-driver field. Additionally, he would also have to be inside the top 30 in points.
Those are the rules under a Chase system France altered last year. It gives him more flexibility to grant exemptions to drivers who miss races. And as was noted last year, France gave Tony Stewart the exemption. However, Stewart was unable to win a race to qualify for The Chase.
“Depends on when he comes back of course, but it’ll be more likely than not that we’re going to try to figure out how to accommodate him, which is the beauty of our playoff system,” France said Thursday during a meeting of The Associated Press Sports Editors at the NASCAR offices in Manhattan.
“What happened to him was on us,” he said. “We’ll balance a lot of things at that point when we have to make a decision, but we’re inclined to want to figure that out for sure.”
With the above mentioned statement from Brian France, it would surely indacate that NASCAR realizes that the Kyle Busch injury, due to the lack of adequate SAFER barriers at Daytona, is squarely resting upon their shoulders. Additionally, in light of the aforementioned fact, they are willing to make amends and grant Kyle Busch an exemption for The Chase, provided that he wins a race and is in the top 30 in points when The Chase begins in September.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!