No. 22 MoneyLion Ford Mustang – Joey Logano
Stage 1: 29th
Stage 2: 27th
Laps Completed: 90/90
Laps Led: 0
Point Standings (Ahead of Second): 2nd (-13)
- Joey Logano had an afternoon filled with frustrations on Sunday at Watkins Glen International. The driver of the MoneyLion Ford Mustang was credited with a 23rd-place finish in the Go Bowling at The Glen. The tough day also shuffled Logano to second-place in the in the NASCAR Cup Series point standings, 13 points behind leader Kyle Busch.
- Logano started 21st but was inside the top 15 by lap 4 of the 90-lap race. As the early laps of the race ticked off, he reported that the No. 22 Mustang was lacking drive-off on corner exit. Despite the handling woes, Logano worked his way up to 14th position when he made a scheduled green flag pit stop on lap 17 for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments. Logano was credited with a 29th-place finish when Stage 1 ended on lap 20. Under the stage caution, the No. 22 team elected to pit Logano for fuel only, lining him up 14th for the restart on lap 24.
- Less than a lap later, Logano damaged the right-front of his Mustang as the tightly bunched pack roared through the bus stop corner. The team pitted twice to repair damage to the right-front fender area and toe (front end alignment). The damage certainly did nothing to aid the handling woes of the MoneyLion Mustang and Logano was credited with 27th-place when Stage 2 ended on lap 40.
- On lap 48, Logano reported that the MoneyLion Ford Mustang had gone extremely loose on all the right turns and was still lacking drive off the corners. A few laps later he added that he was tight on the left turns. Crew chief Todd Gordon called Logano to pit road on lap 58 for a four-tire change with a wedge adjustment to improve the handling characteristics.
- The fourth and final caution slowed the pace on lap 63 and Logano pitted for a chassis adjustment, taking no tires or fuel on the stop. He restarted 26th position on lap 65. Try as he might, Logano was only able to advance up to the 23rd position over the final 25 laps.
Quote: “We struggled a bit throughout the weekend getting the handling right on our MoneyLion Ford Mustang. We fought it throughout the race, but what really hurt our chances was the damage right after that restart. Fortunately, we race at Michigan next weekend and that’s a track that’s been really good to us in the past.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!