No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Laps Completed: 90/90
Laps Led: 26
Points Position: 5th (-148 pts)
- Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet ran a strong race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course as they finished fourth in the 90-lap event. This was their eighth top-10 finish of the season.
- The No. 12 Verizon Chevrolet team began the race from the pole position leading the first 30 laps of the race prior to their first pit stop in which they took fresh primary tires, fuel and a front wing adjustment.
- As pit stops cycled through, Power fell to the sixth position by lap 38 and fought hard through the field to move up to the second position by lap 46.
- On lap 54, Felix Rosenqvist made a hard charge to pass Power using a push-to-pass to succeed causing Power to settle into the third position on the 2.258-mile road course.
- For their final pit stop, Power and the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet returned to the pits for fuel, worn tires and a front wing adjustment in hopes that that combination would give them everything they needed to pass the competition and regain the lead.
- Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet team would ultimately finish the event in the fourth position.
- Power remains fifth in IndyCar Series championship point standings and will continue to battle for points as the series heads to Pocono in two weeks. The No. 12 Chevy team has finished in the top two for the last three events there and plans to be strong at 2.5-mile oval.
Quote: “It was a tough race, honestly. It was difficult to predict the tire strategy – the (Firestone) red tires were way better when the track temps came up and unfortunately we used them at the beginning so it just didn’t play into our strategy. It was a pretty frustrating end for Team Penske, really frustrating to see Josef (Newgarden) in the tires at the end. So, overall, not a great team day but it was a solid finish for the Verizon Chevy. We’ll take it and move on.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!