No. 2 Stars, Stripes and Lites Ford Mustang – Brad Keselowski
Stage 1: 9th
Stage 2: 39th
Laps Completed: 85/127
Laps Led: 0
Driver Point Standings (behind first): 4th (-87)
- Brad Keselowski’s hopes for a strong finish in the Coke Zero Sugar 400 ended against the frontstretch wall. Keselowski was running eighth in the midst of a three-wide pack when a bump from Kevin Harvick sent him into the wall on lap 82 of the 160-lap event. Keselowski made another xx laps as the Stars, Stripes and Lites team valiantly tried to make repairs but the damage was too much and he parked his No. 2 Ford Mustang for the day on lap 85. The driver of the No. 2 Ford Mustang was credited with a 39th-place finish in the final rundown. He is fourth in the NASCAR Cup Series point standings, 87 points behind leader Joey Logano.
- Rain and severe weather plagued on track activities throughout the weekend in Daytona. Heavy rain moved the start of the race from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon and qualifying for the event was cancelled due to lightning and storms in the area. The starting lineup was set per the NASCAR rulebook, giving Keselowski the third-place starting position.
- Once the race started, Keselowski ran among the top-five for nearly all of the Stage 1. He was just a little bit free early in the race but was holding firm to third-place when he made a scheduled green flag stop on lap 36. He was fourth when the cycle was complete on lap 39. On lap 50, the final lap of the first segment, Keselowski was shuffled back to ninth thanks to being pinned to the outside of a three-wide battle for position. He lightly scraped the outside wall but still scored a ninth-place finish. Keselowski pitted for four tires and an air pressure adjustment during the stage caution on lap 52 and restarted eighth when the race went green on lap 55.
- He was running 10th when the second caution slowed the pace on lap 60. Crew chief Paul Wolfe called his drive to the pit lane for a splash of fuel but he was slow leaving the pit stall, something Keselowski immediately took responsibility for.
- He restarted 19th on lap 62 and immediately began to work his way through traffic. The driver of the Stars, Stripes and Lites Ford was back up to 10th-place by lap 72 and climbed up to third by lap 79. He was split three-wide on lap later before receiving the bump from Harvick on lap 81 that ended his afternoon.
Quotes: “I know I was going straight one moment and the next moment I wasn’t. It’s unfortunate for the Miller Lite team. We were all two and three-wide racing and I just got tagged from the back. I know we got to three-wide at the top of three and it looks like Kevin (Harvick) gave me a real straight push. It just took off on me. The Fords were working really hard to run together and I thought we were doing really well at it, but for whatever reason the car just instantly turned there. It’s a bummer for everybody, but we’ll move on.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!