No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Laps Completed: 204/248
Laps Led: 0
Points Position: 3rd (-6 pts)
- After starting their day from the third position, Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet had an unfortunate on-track incident that led to an 18th-place finish.
- Power began his evening race with a relatively strong start maintaining position leading up to his lap 64 pit stop for fuel, tires and a front wing adjustment.
- The Australian-born driver continued to maintain a top-five position as he pitted on lap 120 for fuel and tires.
- He continued his consistency in the top-five and pitted on lap 182 for fuel, tires and a front wing adjustment.
- While Power led a strong race he, unfortunately, made contact with Zachary Claman De Melo on lap 205 leading to the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet retiring from the race.
- Due to the incident and being unable to complete the race, Power fell to third in the Verizon IndyCar Series points. The team will look to regain those valuable championship points in their next race at Road America.
Quote: “The guys in front of me were saving a lot of fuel and completely lifting to try and make it and someone went around on the outside. Unfortunately, the timing stand was talking to me at that exact moment and I couldn’t hear my spotter call outside and there was someone outside at that point. It’s just a bad situation, but something that happens at a track like this. It was not the guy on the outside’s fault. I didn’t know he was out there at that point. We were lifting so much trying to save fuel and he got outside me. It was just a bad deal, but we will move on to Road America.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!