Race 8 of 23: Texas Motor Speedway
Track Length: 1.5-miles
Race Distance: 167 laps I 250.5 miles
Format: Three Stages (Stage 1: 40 laps, Stage 2: 40 laps, Final Stage: 87 laps, ending at Lap 167.)
ThorSport Racing at Texas Motor Speedway
ThorSport Racing has made 83 starts at Texas Motor Speedway with 18 different drivers (Ben Rhodes, Cameron Hayley, Cody Coughlin, Dakoda Armstrong, David Gilliland, Grant Enfinger, Jason Small, Jeb Burton, Johnny Sauter, Kerry Earnhardt, Lance Hooper, Matt Crafton, Rico Abreu, Shelby Howard, Terry Cook, Todd Bodine, Tracy Hines, and Willie Allen) since 1997. The Sandusky, Ohio-based team’s success includes 680 laps led en route to four wins (Johnny Sauter and Matt Crafton), 22 top-five and 43 top-10 finishes.
Ford Fact – Texas Motor Speedway
Friday’s Rattlesnake 400 is one of 15 tracks on the 2018, 23-race schedule that Ford powered F-150’s have found victory lane. In 40 races at the Fort Worth, TX track, Ford Performance is credited with three wins; Kenny Irwin, Jr. (1997), Tony Raines (1998), and Greg Biffle (2000).
Crew Chief: Carl “Junior” Joiner, Jr.
Driver Point Standings: 6th
Owner Point Standings: 8th
Spotter: Stevie Reeves
News and Notes:
- This Week’s No. 88 Matador Beef Jerky/Menards Ford F-150… The No. 88 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. “26” for Friday night’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Rattlesnake 400 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS). This chassis, which was built new in 2018, will make its debut in Friday night’s 167-lap event at the Fort Worth, Texas track.
- Texas-Sized Stats… Matt Crafton has 34 starts to his credit at TMS since 2001. His success includes 429 laps led en route to two wins, 13 top-five and 23 top-10 finishes. In fact, the Menards driver has the more starts, top-five finishes, top-10 finishes, laps completed (5213), laps led and lead lap finishes (25), than any other active NCWTS driver.
- Intermediate Track Facts… No current NCWTS driver is better at intermediate-size (1.5 or 1.54-mile) tracks than Crafton. In 147 starts, the ThorSport Racing driver has nine wins, eight poles, and has led 1,210 laps en route to 14 runner-up finishes, 47 top-five, and 91 top-10 finishes.
- Race Rewind – Charlotte… Starting eighth, Crafton finished ninth in Stage 1, and seventh in Stage 2, but a late-race incident would relegate the ThorSport Racing driver to an 11th-place finish in the NC Education Lottery 200.
- Take me back – Texas (June 2017)… Starting third, Crafton led six laps en route to a ninth-place finish.
- 2018 Stats… In seven starts this season, Crafton has led 15 laps en route to two top-five, and three top-10 finishes. The Menards driver has a season-best start of second (Atlanta & Martinsville), and a season-best finish of second (Dover).
- Veteran-Size Stats… Crafton holds the record for consecutive starts (414) in the NCWTS. Among his success in the past 17 seasons, the two-time champion has earned 13 poles, and led 2471 laps en route to 14 wins, 104 top-five and 245 top-10 finishes.
- Catch Crafton at Texas… Crafton will join his ThorSport Racing teammates Friday, June 8, from 3:30 – 4:15p.m. CT for the NCWTS autograph session at the Texas Motor Speedway display, by Gate 4, in the midway (across from the start/finish line).
- About Matador… Matador Beef Jerky is made with 100 percent beef to help you get the most out of every day. Sunup to sundown. So from work to play, Charge Forward every single day and steer life where you want to go. For more information, visit: MatadorSnacks.com.
Chatting with Matt Crafton…
“Before the repave, there was plenty of room to pass at Texas (Motor Speedway). We could run wide-open – run the top or the bottom. When we were there in the fall last year, it was impossible to pass. Now that the track has aged a little, it will be interesting to see what we will have to work with this weekend. Either way, I love going to Texas, and we’ve seen some success there. I think it’s a great track for us to finally get back into victory lane.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!