Date: March 16, 2018
Event: 66th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring (Round 2 of 10)
Series: Prototype division of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
Location: Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway (3.74-mile, 17-turn road course)
Result: 10th by Renger van der Zande (1:48.370 at 124.242 mph)
Pole Winner: Tristan Vautier of Spirit of Daytona Racing (1:47.432 at 125.326 mph)
The No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R will start the 66th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Saturday from the outside of the fifth row after IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship qualifying Friday at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway.
Renger van der Zande, who opened the season with a pole qualifying effort at the Rolex 24 At Daytona seven weeks ago and is joined again this weekend by full-time co-driver Jordan Taylor and third endurance driver Ryan Hunter-Reay, turned a fast lap of 1 minute, 48.370 seconds at 124.242 mph around the 3.74-mile, 17-turn road course. It was good for 10th among the 43 car-and-driver combinations that will take the green flag for Saturday’s 12-hour endurance marathon.
“It is not what we came for, to qualify 10th,” said van der Zande, the Dutch driving veteran who will be making his fifth career start at Sebring and second in the Prototype class. “We are trying to find a good-handling car. We have seen some speed, but not exactly what we want. We are still working on the Cadillac. It’s a long race, and if we can make it just right for the end of the race tomorrow, we can win it. The Konica Minolta team is strong and we will make some adjustments for the warm-up tomorrow.”
The top-five qualifiers for Saturday’s 66th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring are:
1. Spirit of Daytona Racing (No. 90 Cadillac DPi-V.R) with Tristan Vautier, Matthew McMurry, Edward Cheever (1:47.432 at 125.326 mph)
2. Tequila Patron ESM (No. 2 Nissan DPi), Olivier Pla, Scott Sharp, Ryan Dalziel (1:47.592 at 125.140 mph)
3. Acura Team Penske (No. 7 Acura DPi), Ricky Taylor, Helio Castroneves, Graham Rahal (1:47.773 at 124.930 mph)
4. Tequila Patron ESM (No. 22 Nissan DPi) Pipo Derani, Johannes van Overbeek, Nicolas Lapierre (1:47.834 at 124.859 mph)
5. Action Express Motorsports (No. 31 Cadillac DPi-V.R) Felipe Nasr, Eric Curran, Mike Conway (1:47.853 at 124.837 mph)
The green flag flies at 10:40 a.m. EDT Saturday with live television coverage beginning on FS1 at 10:30 a.m.
TILL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!