Date: Feb. 15, 2017
Event: Can-Am Duel (qualifying race for the Daytona 500)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: Twin 150-mile qualifying races that set the field for the Daytona 500
Start/Finish: 4th/2nd (Running, completed 60 of 60 laps)
Duel No. 1 Winner: Ryan Blaney of Team Penske (Ford) in overtime
Duel No. 2 Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stewart-Haas Racing Finish:
● Kevin Harvick (Started 4th, Finished 2th / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Clint Bowyer (Started 8th, Finished 4th / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Kurt Busch (Started 9th, Finished 5th / Running, completed 63 of 63 laps in Duel No. 1)
● Aric Almirola (Started 7th, Finished 20th / Crash, completed 8 of 63 laps in Duel No. 1)
● Harvick will start sixth in the Daytona 500.
● The Jimmy John’s Ford came to pit road for a splash of fuel under caution on lap 13.
● Harvick gained the lead on pit road and went on to lead twice for seven laps.
● He raced in the third position from lap 25 until the final lap when he raced for the lead, but finished in the runner-up spot by 0.081 of a second.
● Harvick scored his eighth top-five finish in a Daytona qualifying race.
● Harvick received nine regular-season points for his runner-up finish in the second Duel.
● Drivers earning odd-numbered positions from Sunday’s pole qualifying session were assigned to the first Duel race. Drivers earning even-numbered positions from pole qualifying competed in the second Duel race. The starting positions for each Duel race were based on qualifying times.
Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 4 Jimmy John’s Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“The 21 and 14 got side by side over there and Clint (Bowyer) got to my bumper, but my car was so loose that I didn’t want to pull it really hard to the right because it felt like it would spin out all night. We definitely need to work on the handling on our Ford to make it better. I want to thank everybody from Jimmy John’s, Busch Beer, Ford, Mobil 1, Outback, Hunt Brothers Pizza, Morton Building and everybody at Stewart-Haas. We have a fast car.”
The 60th Daytona 500 gets underway at 2:30 p.m. EST on Sunday, Feb. 18, with live coverage provided by FOX beginning with its pre-race show at 1 p.m.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!