- Josef Newgarden won the Verizon P1 Award for Sunday’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma in Verizon IndyCar Series qualifying on Saturday afternoon.
- This is Newgarden’s first pole of the season and first as a member of the Team Penske organization.
- This is just Newgarden’s second-career Verizon IndyCar Series pole with his first coming at Milwaukee in 2015.
- Newgarden’s lap of 1 minute, 15.5205 seconds (113.691 mph) established a new track record and bested the old record, set by his Team Penske teammate Simon Pagenaud last year at 1 minute, 16.2530 seconds.
- With the pole, Newgarden earned a crucial bonus point and will go into Sunday’s season-finale with a four-point lead on Scott Dixon.
- Team Penske teammates Will Power, Pagenaud and Helio Castroneves qualified second, third and fourth respectively.
- The four Team Penske Chevrolets qualified 1-2-3-4 for the third time this season (Road America, Gateway) and the sixth time since expanding to a four-car team in 2015. The three others were St. Petersburg in 2015 and 2016 and Sonoma in 2016.
- This is the 256th Verizon IndyCar Series pole win in the history of Team Penske and the 538th pole for the organization, overall.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!