|Date: June 4, 2017
Event: AAA 400 Drive for Autism (Round 13 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Dover (Del.) International Speedway (1-mile, concrete oval)
Format: 400 laps, broken into three stages (120 laps/120 laps/160 laps)
Start/Finish: 18th/9th (Running, completed 406 of 406 laps)
Point Standing: 3rd (429 points, 116 out of first)
Race Winner: Jimmie Johnson of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Recap (Ended on Lap 120):
● Kevin Harvick started 18th, finished third, earning eight bonus points.
● Jimmy John’s Ford Fusion entered the top-10 on lap 49.
● Avoided a wreck between Kurt Busch and Brad Keselowski on lap 67.
● Pitted at the conclusion of the stage for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustment.
Stage 2 Recap (Ended on Lap 240):
● Started 15th, finished sixth, earning five bonus points.
● Came to pit road under caution on lap 146 for four tires and fuel and came off pit road in the 11th position.
● Came to pit road under caution on lap 194 for four tires, fuel and air pressure and a wedge adjustment to help turn the front end.
● Stayed out under caution on lap 217.
● Pitted at the conclusion of Stage 2 for four tires, fuel and wedge and air pressure adjustments.
Final Stage Recap (Ended on Lap 406):
● Started sixth, finished ninth.
● Came to pit road under green-flag conditions on lap 329 for four tires and fuel.
● Fell a lap down as the caution flag flew during the pit cycle.
● Took the wave-around on lap 337 to return to the lead lap and restarted 15th.
● Came to pit road for four tires and fuel under caution on lap 396 prior to the overtime session and restarted 11th.
● Missed a multicar wreck in overtime to advance to the ninth position by the checkered flag.
● Harvick scored his 15th top-10 finish in 33 Cup Series starts at Dover and his eighth of the 2017 Cup Series season.
● Jimmie Johnson won the AAA 400 Drive for Autism,
● Johnson’s 83rd career Cup Series victory ties him for sixth all-time with Cale Yarborough.
● Johnson scored his third victory and fifth
● There were 17 lead changes among nine drivers and 15 caution periods for a total of 72 laps.
● The race finished in overtime, going six laps past its scheduled 400-lap distance.
Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 4 Jimmy John’s Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“We had a good day with our Jimmy John’s Ford. We just got caught under caution and could never make it back up. We had an okay car and just tried to stay out of trouble all day. It was a long day. A lot going on out there today.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!