(Photo courtesy Leon Hammack)
Date: March 19, 2017
Event: Camping World 500k (Round 4 of 36)
Series: Monster EnergyNASCAR Cup Series
Location: Phoenix International Raceway(1-mile oval)
Format: 312 laps, broken into three stages (75 laps/75 laps/162 laps)
Start/Finish: 13th/13th (Running, completed 314 of 314 laps)
Point Standing: 15th (97 points, 87 out of first)
Race Winner: Ryan Newman of Richard Childress Racing in overtime (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-75):
● Clint Bowyer started 13th, finished 16th.
● Bowyer reported his car was loose into the turn and tight in the center.
● During the stage’s only pit stop, the No. 14 crew made chassis adjustments to improve the car’s handling.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 76-150):
● Started 16th, finished 14th.
● Raced as high as 13th during stage.
● Bowyer told the Haas Automation crew the car lacked grip on the hot, slick track.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 151-312 & Overtime):
● Started 13th, finished 13th.
● Climbed as high as 10th with 48 laps remaining, but faded to 17th in the closing laps.
● Rallied from 17th to 13th in overtime after pitting for tires.
● Race marked Bowyer’s third consecutive top-13 finish.
● Bowyer made his 24th Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start at Phoenix.
● Air temperature exceeded 95 degrees when the race began.
Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 14 Haas Automation Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“It was that kind of weekend for us really. Just a little off all weekend long. We got it better Saturdayand I really thought we were going to be good there, but we actually ended up racing the way we struggled all day Friday. We came full circle.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Auto Club 400 on Sunday, March 26 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!