Event: Can-Am Duel
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: Twin 150-mile qualifying races that set the field for the Daytona 500
Start/Finish: 12th/6th (Running, completed 60 of 60 laps)
Duel No. 1 Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Duel No. 2 Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
● Kevin Harvick (Started 4th, Finished 3rd / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 1)
● Clint Bowyer (Started 2nd, Finished 2nd / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Kurt Busch (Started 11th, Finished 3rd / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Danica Patrick (Started 12th, Finished 6th / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Danica Patrick started 12th and ran as high as sixth before the lap 25 competition caution in the second Can-Am Duel race.
● The No. 10 Aspen Dental Ford Fusion team pitted twice for four tires and fuel during the 60-lap race.
● Despite dropping to 15th with four laps to go, Patrick worked the top line to draft her way back toward the front of the field and was credited with a sixth-place finish.
● As a result of her finish in Thursday night’s race, Patrick will start 12th in the Daytona 500.
● Patrick’s sixth-place effort marked her best-ever finish in the Duel. Her previous best result in the race was a seventh-place finish last year.
● Drivers earning odd-numbered positions from Sunday’s pole qualifying session were assigned to the first Duel race. Drivers earning even-numbered positions from pole qualifying competed in the second Duel race. The starting positions for each Duel race were based on qualifying times.
Danica Patrick, driver of the No. 10 Aspen Dental Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“It was nice to tell Edsel Ford that the Ford was really good. I told him I’ve had my best finishes in stock car racing in Fords. It’s been a good start. The car is in one piece. I feel like the car is more stable in traffic than it has been in years. I feel like the power is good. I feel like we have a really good shot on Sunday. So, the Aspen Dental Ford is in good shape and running well.”
Billy Scott, crew chief for Patrick and the No. 10 Aspen Dental Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“The race went really well. The Aspen Dental Ford is in one piece, we got a decent start and we earned some points tonight. Everything was good on track. We’ve got a few minor tweaks to make forSunday, but we should be in good shape.”
The 59th Daytona 500 gets underway at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 26, with live coverage provided by FOX beginning with its pre-race show at 1 p.m.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!