Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
What can you take away from Daytona earlier this season and apply to Talladega this weekend?
“When your pack racing like you do in Daytona and Talladega, you have to know what lane is moving, who you are are around, all while going three and four-wide at 200mph. Your spotter is key. Hopefully, he can get us to the front and keep us there this weekend, so we can miss the ‘big one’ and get a solid finish.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 25 for Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Fred’s 250 at Talladega Superspeedway. This chassis was last seen at Daytona International Speedway earlier this season, and has sense been rebuilt. Abreu started 16th and finished 29th.
- Calling the Shots… Bud Haefele will serve as interim crew chief for Rico Abreu and the No. 98 Safelite AutoGlass Toyota Tundra team for the remainder of the 2016 season. The ThorSport Racing veteran has called the shots for 180 NCWTS races to date, since 2004, including 175 races with Matt Crafton from 2005-2011. Haefele’s success includes two wins with Crafton (2008 and 2011), six poles, 42 top-five, and 96 top-10 finishes.
- Superspeedway Stats… Abreu will make his second career superspeedway start in Saturday’s 94 lap event at Talladega Superspeedway. In his debut at Daytona International Speedway earlier this season, Abreu started 16th, ran as high as eighth, and finished 29th, following a wreck on lap 92 of 100.
- Off Weekend Success… During the two week break in the NCWTS schedule, Abreu took his Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car to victory lane at Eldora Speedway, winning the 30-lap “Sprintacular” on Saturday, October 8 at the half-mile clay oval.
- 2016 Dirt Success… In 82 races this season, Abreu has 14 wins, 28 top-five, and 40 top-10 finishes.
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after 18 races this season.
- Race Rewind – Las Vegas… Making his track debut at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in the NCWTS, Abreu started 17th, ran as high as second, and finished 20th.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 18
- Top-5 Finishes: 1
- Top-10 Finishes: 4
- Best Start: 10th (Charlotte)
- Best Finish: 3rd (Eldora)
- Laps Completed: 2674 of 2714 (98.5%)
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte)
- Average Start: 18.8
- Average Finish: 16.7
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 20 since 2015
- Top-5 finishes: 1 (3rd, Eldora, 2016)
- Top-10 finishes: 4
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte, 2016)
- Laps Completed: 2852
- Best start: 10th (Charlotte, 2016)
- Average Start: 18.4
- Average Finish: 16.9
2016 Dirt Highlights:
- Races: 82
- Wins: 14
- Top-5 Finishes: 28
- Top-10 Finishes: 40
- Jan 13 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – Preliminary Qualifier Night, 30th Annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets.
- Jan 16 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – 30th Annual Chili Bowl Feature Event – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets
- April 15 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- April 15 Placerville, CA – Placerville Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- May 28 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- June 5 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midget
- June 20 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- July 23 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 6, Pevely, MO – Federated Auto Parts Raceway at I-55 – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 12, Knoxville, IA – Qualifying Night, 56th Annual Knoxville Nationals – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 21, Brandon, SD – Badlands Motor Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- September 10, 2016 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- September 24, 2016 Rossburg, OH – Eldora Speedway – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets
- October 8, 2016 Rossburg, OH – Eldora Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2016
Time: 1:00pm ET on FOX Sports 1, MRN Radio & SiriusXM Channel 90
Track: 2,66-mile superspeedway
Distance: 94 laps/250.04 miles
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!