Brendan Gaughan Will Attempt To Make The 2017 Daytona 500

Brendan Gaughan


If upstarts Derrike Cope, Jamie McMurray and Trevor Bayne are capable of winning the Daytona 500, then why not Brendan Gaughan?

Why not, indeed, said the Las Vegas Xfinity Series veteran, who will attempt to qualify for the Great American Race in February.

Gaughan said he will drive the Chevrolet Michael McDowell wheeled to a 15th-place finish for Leavine Family Racing in last year’s race. The car owner is Mark Beard of Mount Pleasant, Michigan, a former driver and team owner in the Midwest-based ARCA series who had a couple of Xfinity starts during the 1980s.

The unexpected opportunity came out of a midnight clear, said Gaughan, who will be competing for a spot in the Feb. 26 race.

Jay Robinson, the man I drove for a couple of years ago at Premium Motorsports, called me in the middle of the Christmas break and said a friend of his was trying to do a deal and run the 500,” said the 41-year-old Gaughan, who qualified for the inaugural Xfinity Series Chase in 2016 driving for Richard Childress Racing.

“They bought the old Leavine car, they’ve hired ECR to do motors — real racing motors — and they asked if I would be interested. So it’s got Richard Childress motors, and I’m going to have a Richard Childress pit crew — my guys — and so we’re going to the Daytona 500 and see if we can qualify.”

Beard doesn’t possess a Cup Series charter, which would have guaranteed Gaughan a starting spot. So he will have to race his way in via qualifying speed and twin 150-mile races that set the 40-car field.

Gaughan said he may have to beat only one other noncharter team for a starting spot.

“We’re an open team, but I feel very confident that with ECR motors we’re going to be able to make the show,” the former Truck Series Rookie of the Year said.

If he does, it will be the second time Gaughan has raced in NASCAR’s marquee event. The son of South Point owner Michael Gaughan made his Daytona 500 debut in 2004 driving a Dodge for Roger Penske. He finished 19th after starting 17th.

He is thrilled about giving the Daytona 500 another whirl at this stage of his career. Brendan Gaughan said he contemplated retiring before putting together a solid 2016 season with four top 5s and 16 top 10s in the Xfinity Series.

“It’s very cool; I’m real excited about it,” the always effusive Gaughan said. “The best part about it is I’m with a stand-alone team, but technically I have teammates — I told (former Xfinity teammates) Ty and Austin (Dillon) they better help me make the damn show.”

TIL NEXT TIME, IAM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!

HScott Motorsports Shutters Their Operations

Clint Bowyer


Harry Scott, Jr. announced in a team meeting that HScott Motorsports would not field a NASCAR entry during the 2017 season.

Below is Mr. Scott’s statement:

“Over the past several months I considered a number of options for moving forward with the team. Regrettably there are no viable sponsor/driver options immediately available to allow the team to participate in 2017. One thing I learned about NASCAR is that it is a ‘people business.’ I will forever be grateful to the men and women who worked tirelessly to make HScott Motorsports successful. This includes our dedicated employees, sponsors and partners.

We were fortunate to have the support of world-class sponsors like Brandt, DC Solar, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Pilot Flying J, and 5 hour ENERGY. Our racing program would not have been possible without the assistance of Rick Hendrick, Hendrick Motorsports, and Chevrolet. I love this sport and being part of it.

I invested in NASCAR because I truly believe it represents the best racing competition in the world and the best people in all sports. Looking back, I will always be especially proud of the unprecedented success of our NASCAR K&N Series teams, including four consecutive championships and for the lifelong friendships that were forged over the last seven years. My hope is that we were able to develop drivers that will thrive at the highest levels for years to come.

In a deal that was finalized late last week the #15 Charter, which was owned by HScott Motorsports, has been sold to Premium Motorsports (#55 & #98). The charter that was leased for the #46 team was sold by Premium Motorsports to Furniture Row Racing.”  So that means the 2nd FRR #77 with Erik Jones has a Charter for 2017. Premium Motorsports still has one Charter left (from the #15) to use, sell or lease in 2017.

TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY RENDECK!

Premium Motorsports Purchases The Assests Of Tommy Baldwin Racing’s #36 Team

Reed Sorenson

(WOMR file photo)

Premium Motorsports, formally know as Jay Robinson Racing, has purchased the assets of the 2014 NSCS #36 team from Tommy Baldwin Racing.

Tommy Baldwin Racing’s #36 team ran the full schedule in 2014 and finished 35th in the final point standings with Reed Sorenson behind the wheel. For 2015 Premium Motorsports has changed the team’s number from #36 to #62. The team will be fielding Chevrolets for the 2015 Season. Premium Motorsports is led by Veteran Team Owner Jay Robinson.

The team will announce the sponsorship package, as well as announcing who will be sitting in the driver’s seat for the #62 team in the forth coming days.(Premium Motorsports)

This whole transaction has occurred in rapid fire!  Just a couple of weeks ago Tommy Baldwin Racing and Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix announced that there was a five race sponsorship package for five races in 2015.  Now TBR is announcing that they are selling off the assets of that same race team to Premium Motorsports!

TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!