- After just 11 laps, James Hinchcliffe had moved to 8th and just continued moving through the field to sit 2nd after 40 laps
- Pitted on lap 70 and rejoined the field 2nd
- Yellow came out lap 138 and at restart dropped back to 3rd briefly
- With 100 laps remaining Hinchcliffe was the fastest car on the track
- Took the lead on lap 256 and never looked back
- Yellow came out with 6 laps to go and the decision of whether to stay out or come in for fresh tires had to be made
- The team decided Hinchcliffe should stay out and maintain P1
- With just a few laps remaining the race was unable to be restarted in time and Hinchcliffe crossed the line in first place!
“We didn’t qualify the best, but we had a good car. The first stint was great, the second stint we made a change and went a little too far, too far the other way, but the next stop that Arrow Electronics car was a rocket ship. We had great battles with Spencer [Pigot] and Josef [Newgarden] at the end. Ultimately we made the right call… it would’ve been a disaster if it didn’t go green after taking tires. Taylor [Kiel], Todd [Malloy], Will [Anderson] my engineer, everyone on the stand: Kenny [Krajnik], [Craig] Luba, Nick [Snyder], everybody. This is just great. The guys were great in the pits. Honda power back on top and going to Toronto, I am just so stoked.”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!