Date: June 30, 2018
Event: Overton’s 300 (Round 15 of 33)
Series: NASCAR Xfinity Series
Location: Chicagoland in Joliet, Illinois (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps, broken into three stages (45 laps/45 laps/100 laps)
Start/Finish: 12th/3rd (Running, completed 200 of 200 laps)
Point Standing: 1st with 541 points
Race Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Tyler Reddick of JR Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Cole Custer started 12th, finished 11th.
● The No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang had to go to the rear because the right-front tire was flat before the third round of qualifying.
● Custer was in the top-15 by lap 10.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Custer started ninth, finished fourth and earned seven bonus points.
● The Southern California native reported his car was just too tight center off the corner.
● He pitted on lap 48 for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure adjustment after
● Custer said the car was a little too tight firing off.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 91-200):
● Custer started sixth, finished third.
● On lap 93, Custer pitted for four tires and fuel.
● The No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Fusion was a little loose in turns one and two and a little tight in turns three and four.
● On lap 117, Custer pitted for four tires and fuel.
● On lap 155, Custer passed SHR teammate Kevin Harvick for the second position.
● On lap 168, he reported that his Haas Automation Ford was a little too loose late in the run. When he came in for fuel, four tires and a slight tire pressure adjustment, he overshot his pit stall.
● Returned to fifth with 20 laps to go and reached fourth on lap 189, passed Daniel Saurez for third on lap 191.
● This marks Custer’s fifth consecutive top-five finish and sixth overall of the season and first Xfinity Series top-five at Chicagoland.
● With his third-place finish, Custer took over the lead in the championship point standings.
● The race featured 13 lead changes among seven drivers and four caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
● Only 11 of the 40 drivers finished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Larson won the Overtons’s 300 to score his 10th career Xfinity Series victory, second of the season and first at Chicagoland. His margin of victory over second-place Harvick was 8.030 seconds.
Cole Custer, driver of the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing With Biagi-DenBeste:
“It was a great car. All our guys on the Haas Automation Mustang did great. I just hate that I missed the box that last stop, I think that is all on me. I don’t know that we would have caught Kyle but we would have gotten one more spot. It is what it is. We will just move on.”
The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Coca-Cola Firecracker 250 on Friday, July 6 at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!