Date: May 19, 2018
Event: Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Start/Finish: 3rd/19th (Running, completed 74 of 90 laps)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 3 Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-30):
● Clint Bowyer started third, finished 18th.
● Bowyer dropped to 16th in the opening laps when he was pinned in the middle lane without a drafting partner to push from behind.
● Bowyer reported his car was also struggling to turn on the 1.5-mile oval.
● He could not regain the lost spots before the stage ended.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 31-50):
● Bowyer started 18th, finished 18th.
● No. 14 crew made major changes during the race’s first stop to help the car turn in the corners.
● Bowyer dropped to 20th and climbed as high as 14th before finishing 18th.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 51-70):
● Bowyer started 18th, finished 19th.
● Pitted from 18th for four tires and fuel during the lap 56 caution. Restarted 16th.
● Made a quick pit stop on lap 70 for a loose lug nut from the previous stop and restarted in 10th.
● The stage could not end under caution so it went to overtime.
● An eight-car accident on lap 74 collected Bowyer.
● Bowyer was uninjured, but the No. 14 was heavily damaged and he drove it to the garage.
Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 14 SHR Fan Club Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“That was so frustrating tonight. The minute you got bogged down you were all the way to the back again. We just got caught up in the wreck when someone hit us.”
● Harvick’s victory in the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race marked the 50th overall win for SHR. It was the organization’s third non-points victory in the NASCAR Cup Series to go along with its 45 points-paying NASCAR Cup Series wins and two NASCAR Xfinity Series wins.
● This was SHR’s second All-Star Race win. SHR’s first All-Star Race victory came in 2009 when Tony Stewart took the first win of any kind for SHR along with his first win in the All-Star Race.
● Harvick’s margin of victory over second-place Daniel Suarez was .325 of a second.
● Twenty-one drivers comprised the field.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday, May 27 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!