No. 22 Menards Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet – Simon Pagenaud
Laps Completed: 85/85
Laps Led: 0
Points Position: 12th (-90 pts)
- Simon Pagenaud and the No. 22 Menards Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet team began the 85-lap INDYCAR Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway from the seventh starting position.
- Unfortunately, bad luck that has plagued the start of his season struck Pagenaud on the opening lap of the race when he was involved in a multi-car incident as the crowd of cars entered Turn 1.
- After pitting to change to black, primary Firestone tires, Pagenaud restarted the race from the 22nd position.
- A second pit stop at lap 16 to switch back to the red, alternate Firestone tires began Pagenaud’s move through the field. He radioed to strategist Kyle Moyer that the Menards Chevy was driving beautifully, especially in clean traffic.
- On his drive toward the front Pagenaud routinely turned laps faster than that of the race leader.
- The brilliant drive would run out of laps before Pagenaud could make a run at the top five, but he was able to bounce back for a solid eighth-place finish.
Quote: “What a day. I can’t believe my luck so far this season. Maybe that is good for Indy 500. I keep saying it. It’s coming up now. Hopefully, I get all the luck in the world for the 500. It was an awesome car today, fantastic. I think we could have challenged for the win. It is what it is. We recovered from the first lap incident. They opened the pit and we pitted, then they threw the green flag that next lap so we couldn’t get back to the pack. The car was very good and the Chevy power was awesome. We managed to finish the race with good fuel consumption and was able to pass Graham Rahal just before start finish because of fuel consumption. Awesome heading to 500. Congratulations to Will – he made it three here now! So I have to catch him next year. Also, it is the 200th win for Team Penske in IndyCar. It is phenomenal. What a team. It is an honor to be part of it!”
TIL NEXT TIME, I AM STILL WORKING ON MY REDNECK!